Thread: Savage 311
View Single Post
Old August 2, 2011, 05:48 PM   #35
LSnSC

The best tool for the job is often the tool at hand. The tool at hand is often the one the user can afford. Specialized tools are nice but not necessary for success. And they dont make more utilitarian tools junk. My family made its living for a long while in the woods and on the waters. The best hunters were hardly ever the Orvis/LL Bean gun club crowd. Those were the ones to watch and make sure they didnt get excited and hurt you or themselves when it was time to shoot. They talked an impressive game in the clubhouse and on the range, but more often than not were a dissappointment in the field.

I coach a youth shotgun team, and more times than I can count Ive had a kid come up showing some real potential, until some know it all jackass begins to pontificate on how they need better equipment. Usually the kid doesnt come back. If he does, he now believes his equipment is second rate, has a built in excuse for missing and his confidence is shattered.

Expensive specialized shotguns are nice, but not at all necessary for success on the range or in the field. I have a well used 870 thats taken numerous limits of doves and ducks with as many shells. Its run numerous 25's in trap and skeet. Its a safe queen now, because I have "better" shotguns, but if I ever need to I would not hesitate to use it anywhere any time.

Page generated in 0.03885 seconds with 8 queries