View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Paul B.

Well, I have three rifles chambered to the 7x57. Nuff said? I did, many years ago build a custom rifle in 6.5x55 but other than test firing it, I never got a chance to use it on game. I was working with a gunsmith as he was teaching me how to git-R-done and was in the process of drilling and tapping the gun when a fellow walked in, saw it and when he found out it was mine, made me an offer I just could not refuse. ($500 plus a Reminton M600 Mohawk in .308 Win.)
If you can chase down the Winchester M70 push feed model and put a 2x7 Leupold scope on it, you come quite close to perfection IMHO. I love mine and the only one I like better is my custom based on an FN Mauser action. Both rifles are .75" guns on average with ammo they like and both seem to like just about everything I run through them
Rifle #3 is a Ruger #1A but this one and I got off to a bit of a bad start. It had one of those not so good Wilson barrels and had to be sent back to Ruger. It took Ruger 7 months to get it back to me but what a difference. Now it can almost stay up with the other rifles usually averaging right at one inch.
For all practical purposes, the 7x57 and 7-08 are the same thing, especially after you develope good handloads for the 7x57. factory ammo is anemic because of all the old Spanish Mausers and Remington rolling block rifles that are still in use. Factory 140/145 loads are supposed to do abouty 2600 FPS. My handload using 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips do 2800 FPS and make tiny groups. I won't give out that load because it's two hot in my custom Mauser and borderline hot in the Ruger.
To be honest, if you never plan to shoot bullets heavier than abouty 160 gr., then you might as well just stay with the 7-08. But what fun is there in that?
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03537 seconds with 8 queries