View Single Post
Old June 23, 2018, 12:06 AM   #1
Departed402

Semi-auto guy wandering in

I have been considering buying a revolver for a few months now. I feel I should mention that up until now I have been exclusively a semi-automatic owner. For what's it's worth, I'm a Glock armorer, an LE firearms instructor, and a relatively younger guy (almost 30). I say all that to illustrate that I'm not new to firearms, just revolvers. The age of the service revolver was long gone by the time I came around. Heck, even as a kid the first handgun I remember my father carrying to work was a Beretta 92. Despite this, I spend a fair amount of my free time reading about revolvers, and just admiring photos of them. I would like to become proficient with revolvers for my personal enjoyment, and also to widen my knowledge in regard to being a handgun instructor.

Cutting to the chase, I've decided my first revolver(s) will have to be Smith & Wessons. Sorry Ruger fans, but with the exception of their GP100s, Ruger's revolvers are just not as handsome. So Smiths then. I have some family and friends that own various revolvers, and I have some experience shooting them. I've read enough about Smith & Wesson to understand the controversy over new vs old, internal locks, recessed cylinders, pinned barrels, and the importance of thoroughly checking for quality before leaving the gun store. I'm leaning towards eventually buying at least two revolvers, a J Frame in .38 Special (probably an airweight) and either a K or L Frame in .357 Magnum. The intent with the J frame would be occasional concealed carry, and the larger gun for general revolver training, and winter or special event carry.

That's where I'm at in this process, and what I'm looking for is input from experienced revolver owners. I would like to avoid any common pitfalls of new revolver owners, and perhaps glean some knowledge that a person generally only obtains through experience. What should I be aware of, and what surprises have you run to?

Page generated in 0.04101 seconds with 8 queries