View Single Post
Old April 9, 2018, 11:37 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Who is most likely to survive a gun fight all other things being equal? The person who has fired thousands of rounds in competitions over the past year or the person who has fired a couple hundred at a target.
When the highly successful NYPD stakeout squads were being put together with people like Jim Cirillo, two of the twelve questions they asked were about the candidate's experience in shooting competitions.

Competition isn't the same as gunfighting, but having learned to perform at a high level under pressure in competition certainly doesn't hurt a person in a gunfight.
Quote:
Who is most likely to survive a gun fight all other things being equal? The person who has fired thousands of rounds at paper targets or the person who has had thousands of rounds exchanged with real world combatants?
If one survives and learns proper lessons from many self-defense/LE type gunfights (military tactics and rules of engagement are quite different) it makes sense that they would likely have an edge over a person who is equal in all respects ("all other things being equal") but has gained all their experience from practice on the range and competition.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that there is anyone living, and possibly no one in all of history who has exchanged "thousands of rounds" in self-defense/LE type engagements.
Quote:
These gentlemen have little to no experience to transfer to the real world. Just supposition.
The idea that anyone without experience can only provide "supposition" about the real world doesn't follow. I've never taken a lethal dose of strychnine, but that doesn't mean it's only "supposition" when I tell others to avoid the practice. I don't need to eat a rotten egg, or even smell one to know that eating one is a bad idea. Fortunately it is possible to acquire useful information that transfers to the real world without having to actually "eat rotten eggs".

Page generated in 0.03451 seconds with 8 queries