View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 10:48 PM   #26
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0711
Shooting with the sights is superior to point shooting in most cases. When I started I bought No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan. I could hit from the hip in the center of the chest at 12'.
Then came The Modern Technique, and most subscribe to this style of shooting.
I read a few days ago that the stuff taught in the 1970s was out of date and to be avoided. Bill Jordan and at least two other lawmen could react, draw, and shoot accurately at reasonable distances in 1/20 [.020] of a second. This was done from their duty rigs.
Today it's supposedly better to bring the gun to eye level. I believe that the best times are about .75 to 1.75 of a second.
Who do you think would win that gunfight?
Your information is incomplete to answer accurately. The skillset isn't worth a bucket of dung if the proper mindset isn't in place. Given they both have the proper mindset, you then have to assess if one survives the situation what legal ramifications are going to be dealt.

I will do everything in my power to use my sights if I were to ever need to use my firearm. I'm not going to use distance to determine point shooting to be justified. There are too many variables involved to even use distance as a primary, if not only variable, to judge which method to use. Using point shooting as a primary method when sight shooting could have been the better method has me thinking I would be shredded in court. One is going to have to answer for every single shot fired. I'm going to make every one count to stop the attack immediately, not some zipper method to gain space or have a "good enough" grouping in the heat of the moment. I don't think telling the jury shooting from the hip allowed me to know exactly where the bullet's path was going to go is going to sit well compared to testifying I had the gun's sights lined up via eyes.

Is there a time for point-shooting? Yes. However, too many regular people glorify it to the point they dismiss sighted fire because Johnny Rocket can teach someone in a matter of minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krav Maga
Point shooting and sighting in have their place.If im shooting over 15 yards and/or need pinpoint accuracy,then i use my sights.But in a narrow hallway,or if surrounded,both the carry guns are coming out and im going to be fast,with pointing.Practice is everything.
This is just flat out.....well, I'm sure fellow members that are clear thinking can fill in the blank in their own head.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries