Thread: The Neck Shot?
View Single Post
Old December 8, 2019, 02:27 PM   #3
big al hunter

I am not a fan of the neck shot. If it is a good spine hit, it is instant. If not, not so much.

I have not used neck shot on a deer, but I have on an elk. I was tracking a bull I had already shot with a muzzle loader. Hit both lungs on a broadside shot at about 10 feet. When we located him he was bedded, his head was up and watching us at 20 yards. I took very careful aim from a sitting position. The neck was the only vital spot I had as a viable target. The bullet scraped the bone as it passed. The bull jumped up and ran off. We found him a few yards into the trees, and another shot finished him.

Not every neck shot will have the same results. I will only use it when forced to on a previously wounded animal. The spine is a small target and hunting is rarely a time that I have a stable bench to shoot from. I can usually get fairly stable with improvised rests and such, but occasionally it happens too fast to get set up. But that is usually very close range and stable rests are not needed.

If my situation had been with a modern rifle it may have ended different. Others have had different results and have a different opinion. To each his own.

Page generated in 0.03834 seconds with 8 queries