View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014, 12:31 PM   #1
ffs1942

Barefoot shooting

I've worn various footgear in matches over the years, from combat boots to sneakers. I've never tried actual shooting boots, but I think they're illegal in state game matches and impossible to walk in. Most walkable shoes or boots have squishy soles that encourage rocking.

In 10m airgun practice in the basement I'm always barefoot, so I noticed I have a much more stable contact with the ground. I started shooting 10m matches barefoot, at least in the summer.

After I got my new M1, I shot in my first civilian service rifle match, the instructor at the clinic actually recommended shooting barefoot, though he doesn't. I did this, but was the only one doing it. Nobody minded. I put my shoes on off the line to be polite or in the pits because of splinters.

It seems a good way to shoot. I have a more solid plant on the ground except when kneeling. It also avoids rules conflicts due to unauthorized footgear. I note some SASS shooters (women in dresses and bonnets) do this apparently to avoid the discomfort and expense of period footwear.

Anybody else do this or am I just acting like a hippy?

Page generated in 0.02092 seconds with 8 queries