View Single Post
Old September 24, 2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Chronograph...anyone? (9x18 Mak

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I've been using up my supply of hodgdon HS-6 loading some 9x18 Mak. Data for this powder is merely non-existent. The only information I could find was from Hornady which gives a start load of 5.6 grains and a max of 6.2 grains. The old Makarov site which no longer exists did have some people developing loads using HS6, but there is nothing listed in any manual I can find. Those there who have chronographed their loads suggested a 6.1 grain charge should render a 1,000 ft/sec velocity.

Generally, factory 9x18 Mak is running 980 ft/sec or so. I have found American Eagle is very underpowered, and often stove pipes my Mak PM. (I think that was American Eagle with the brass colored primers, the American Eagle with the silver primers functioned 100% - or vice versa). Fiocchi seems to be a bit hotter and runs fine.

Needless to say, I am loading 95 grain Berry plated bullets, using converted 9x19 brass, sized and trimmed, seating OAL to .975" I slowly worked up my loads, from what data I got on the Makarov site, also cross referencing .380 ACP data to to utilize as a safety margin. I worked from 5.8 grains to 6.4 grains. The 5.8 grain charge is "low end", but accurate. 6.1 grains I noted as a "nice load". 6.3 grains I noted as "Works Ok". But I have found, the 6.4 grain charge to be balls on accurate and the best of all my load development. It is a bit "stout", but not abusive. And most accurate of all the other loads I have tested.

My manuals show a OAL of .955" to .965. Loading at .975", I can see why I have gone past Hornady's max load listing, as a longer seating depth increases case capacity and lowers pressures. With a slow powder as HS6 is, a .2 grain increase is not gravely detrimental. No signs of pressure (even though this is a blow back action).

I am curious as to guessing what velocity I may be pushing with this load. If 6.1 grains renders a 1,000 ft/sec velocity, would it be safe to say my 6.4 load is around 1050 ft/sec? Or do you think they may be going more towards 1100 ft/sec? I'm not trying to develop some type of +P load here, I am just very curious as to where I may be. It is my understanding most commericial American loadings of this round are "under powered".

Last edited by Unclenick; September 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries