View Single Post
Old August 26, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

I mostly agree

They are very, very similar.

Thanks for posting this question. I have been wondering this lately myself and just spent a rainy morning comparing ballistics from my trusty Hornady Reloading Manual 3rd edition. I do not have a chronograph and this was just one source and an old one at that, but I learned quite a bit.

I shoot/load both calibers and always knew they were very close ballistically, but I never suspected how close. I'll not bore everyone with the actual numbers, as I'm sure you all have access to ballistics information, but unless you look at the extreme ends of the spectrum of bullet weights, there is no real difference that I would ever be able to use. When comparing bullets of similar weights, the 7mm Rem Mag does come out slightly ahead in velocity, but not by so much it would make any difference for my shooting needs. I'm sure there are those out there who can make use of a couple of more hundred feet per second or foot pounds of energy, but I'm not one of them. So, is the 7mm Rem Magnum over-rated? I do not think so, it offers distinct advantages over .270 Win at the low and high ends of the available bullet weight spread and the ability to use heavier bullet weights is a nice option for those who need them. The 7mm RM is not one of the howitzer-class super magnums, nor was it ever designed or marketed to be. As a magnum loading of the 7mm round, I think it lives up to its name well.

Page generated in 0.02373 seconds with 8 queries