View Single Post
Old December 18, 2005, 07:21 PM   #12
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I let the deer lay for about 30 minutes and the deer did not move (snip)I thought about shooting the first deer one more time as it laid there. That little voice in my head told me to do it.
OK, lets analyze this a little bit for the future. There was something else other than the voices that told you the deer wasn't dead. But in the heat of the moment you've forgotten what it was. This may take a little bit of sitting down thinking time, but it will probably pay off in the long run.

I try to approach deer slowly and watch them a few minutes at each stage of the approach, with gun ready to shoot. I try to circle very slowly until I can get a good look at their head.Dead deer have that glassy eyed stare like, well, ... dead deer. They often have their tongue hanging out and it kind of looks bluish. Plus they're not breathing and their feet aren't necessarily underneath them.

gdeal, I've got to add this one comment. Except for very close shots, like in the deep woods under 30 yards I think that buckshot is not a good idea. Buckshot is IMHO designed for trench warfare and not hunting.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries