View Single Post
Old February 11, 2011, 06:13 PM   #20
Bill Akins

To avoid all the mess and problems with making your own nitrating paper, just go to a party supply or magic store and ask for "flash" paper.

Years ago around 1986 I had (still have) one of those little battery powered glo plug devices that fit between the fingers. You would put flash paper in the tube of it and then press the button that allowed the little glo plug to get electricity from the battery which ignited the flash paper. It was fun at parties.
I bought my flash paper for it from a magic shop in St Petersburg Fl.

A couple of times instead of just tearing off a little piece of paper for the hand tube device, I tried lighting the whole 8x10 sheet just to see what it would do.
Whoooosh! Totally gone without a trace and no glowing ember in about 1 second.

Naturally I decided to try to use this same flash paper to make black powder revolver paper cartridges. I cut them to length and width and wrap them around a wooden dowel just a little smaller than the cylinder chamber. Then secure their top and bottom with just a teeny touch of clear fingernail polish. They worked perfectly and leave no glowing ember or tiny bits of paper like cigarette paper does.

The flash paper is a bit pricey, but 5 or so sheets of it will load a lot of paper cartridges.

That's my experience anyway.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.03985 seconds with 8 queries