View Single Post
Old February 18, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
jg0001

Purposely firing through a WALL or DOOR -- FMJ or Hollowpoint

In thinking extensively about whether to preload FMJ or Hollowpoints in my "home defense" guns (9mm Sig and .45ACP Kimber 1911), one thing I've wondered is this:

Since I don't carry, even in my house (*I know, I know, I should*), the most likely place I'd be using a gun in a home defense scenario is from my bedroom (which is at the opposite end from the entry door, and I happen to be on the third floor of the house, so a window entry is very unlikely for a regular BG). Whether this was an awake from sleep moment or a retreat to the bedroom scenario doesn't really matter.

So the question becomes, if I am in the bedroom with the bedroom door closed, I will know the point of entry for any potential BG (badguy). At that point, he/she will not know my location beyond the door. This would seem to me to be my highest point of tactical superiority (i.e. before he/she breaks the door open about 15 seconds later).

Should I attempt to SHOOT THROUGH THE DOOR (assume it is a common interior wood door, nothing fancier)? If so, would hollowpoints be a mistake at that point (assume the BG has cold weather clothing).

As a secondary issue, in shooting through the door, if I miss, the BG may have more time to reposition for a response, and he will also of course now know that I am armed. If I wait for a clear shot when I can see the BG, I could perhaps make a better shot, but then again, the BG would likely be in motion (granted, given the confines of the space, the motion would likely be directly towards me, not zig zagging around the room).

Anyway, thoughts?

[One thing I've come across in the FMJ v Hollowpoint discussion was to mix & match the two in the same magazine (talking semi-autos here, not revolvers). Others have suggested this may lead to feeding issues, but I'm not enough of an expert to know.]

Page generated in 0.03271 seconds with 8 queries