View Single Post
Old June 15, 2021, 03:50 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
How do you protect yourself from quick and intense bear attack like this?
Bear attack quick and intense.
First thing you do is get rid of the misconceptions. The attack was quick and intense? More than likely, the bear was nosing around the campsite and tent for several minutes. It didn't rush out of the woods and body slam the tent at full speed. That would be quick and intense. More than likely, it did what bears do and sniff around the tent and then slowly start collapsing the tent to see what was inside and/or how to get inside and when the occupants starting screaming, then the scary stuff started happening. When you are asleep, lots can go on before you know what is happening. When you wake up with a bear on top of you, it appears to have happened suddenly, when in fact it was minutes or 10s of minutes in the making. What I am saying is that the quick part of it is misleading. Once the screaming part started, no doubt it got intense. Sounds like the bear reacted in a surprised manner, beat the crap out of the occupants, and ran off.

Bottom line, the bear surprised the campers and the campers surprised the bear and the bear reacted in what sounds like a typical manner. This does not appear to be a predatory attack where the bear was there to eat the people, otherwise, this story likely would have been much different.

How to protect against this? Several ways. Simple trip wire alarms around camp would have at least notified the occupants that their perimeter was being breached by a larger creature. Not having both occupants asleep at the same time would have been really prudent. One outside the tent tending a fire as the other slept probably would have been a really good idea.

I am sorry, but people are just naive and ignorant. They were camping, SLEEPING in bear country with nothing to shield them from bears or wolves other than thin fabric, which is no protection at all.

Page generated in 0.02481 seconds with 8 queries