View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Recoil spring

Ruger Super Redhawk spitting particles on the cheek.

I bought a NIB Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull back in 2009, like the gun, mostly shoot hand loaded lead 200 gr. bullets in .45 LC through it. I also have some .454 Casull ammo that I have put down range as well, but that load kicks too much.

When I got the gun it must have been a Monday/Friday made piece as it had some scratches and flashing left over from when it was made, I polished and filed everything just right to save time over sending it back to the factory. I am an ex-machinist. This gun is very accurate, mostly use Unique and Universal powder.

It has a tendency to spit particles to the left of the cylinder and forcing cone to my left cheek. Read that Ruger made the barrel angle for full metal jacket ammo as this is really a serious big game hunting gun, and is intended for the heavy FMJ stuff. Smith and Wesson has a different angle to allow use of more types of bullets, all this is from what I have read online. My 2 S/W revolvers never did that to me in regards to spitting.

Took the Ruger to the range today and it really was hitting my left cheek a lot. Annoying, thought of selling the gun. The timing seems fine on the revolver and my Ruger GP-100 was hitting me some too, but not nearly as much. Anyone have this sort of thing happened to their Ruger Super Red hawk? And if so, what caused it and wondering if my hand loads are doing this as it does the same thing whether lead or FMJ bullets.

Thanks.

Last edited by Recoil spring; June 19, 2017 at 04:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.02897 seconds with 8 queries