Thread: '58 Remingtons
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Bootsie

I am a conversion man myself, however of the Colt fraction. I share and confirm your observations. Hence I like to add some thoughts.
IMHO the targelt group for conversions in the sport ist very limited. It is primarily those (few) shooters striving for period correctness of cloths and guns, at the expense of competitiveness.
Over here in Germany we, a group of hard core conversionistas, made a comparative torture test 2011/12 of all available C&B revolvers and their conversions in CAS activities . Parts of the test were published in the Cowboy Chronicle in 2012.
In essence this is what we found:
# before trying conversions most these shooters used to compete either in the Frontiersman or Classic Cowboy class.
# the classes being as they are today in SASS (or BDS Westernschießen over here) in competition shooting the conversion shooters are judged like any other breech loading revolver shooters of the closed frame or break open design.
# if two comparatively able shooters were starting say shooter A with a pair of Colt SAA clones and shooter B with a pair of conversions shooter A would win! These findings were confirmed over and over again.
# to add injury to insult when it comes to BP loads within the conversion groups the Colt conversion or Open Top shooters would out-perform the Remington conversion shooters - no matter if modern factory conversions (Ubertis) or modern C&B Revolvers converted by conversion artists were used. The open top designs just last much longer in a match without malfunctions from crud compared to Remington designs.
FWIW I am continuing shooting my Colt type conversions for 3 years now almost exclusively in competition shoots ... and I am having great fun doing that. And the number of other conversionistas is growing ... very slowly.
Long Johns Wolf

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries