View Single Post
Old July 8, 2007, 04:37 AM   #247
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
Quote:
due to what looks like 4198 in a jug
hand labeled 4227 I got in sale years ago.

This is why you should NEVER handle powder that is in anything other than the original factory container.
There are so many powders that look exactly like another that visial inspection is not always accurate. Never trust any gun show or second hand powder unless it's still factory sealed.

With over 150 powders available to todays reloaders you can't be too careful.
With so many having similar names or numbers it's all too easy for someone to get them confused. Just because it has the same number doesn't mean it's the same powder.

And burn rate charts aren't gospel either. They are to be used as a guideline at best. Powder X may burn faster than Powder Z in a .223 case but slower in a .300 Weatherby case.
You may be able to use the exact same charge of Powder A as Powder B in a 9mm case but discover a drastic difference in safe loads when used in a .45 Colt.
With some powders it doesn't matter if you use a standard or a magnum primer.
With other powders it makes a huge difference.
Trail Boss is a good example.
Using a 158gr lead bullet in .38 Special cases, 4.2gr gives you 804fps with a standard primer.
Using that same 158gr lead bullet in .357 Magnum cases, that same 4.2gr gives you 865fps with a magnum primer.
There's a big pressure difference between those two loads.
Normally when using the exact same load in both cases, the .357 Magnum will yeild slightly lower velocities and pressures that what you get with .38 Special brass.

I store my powders in a separate room. I only have one bottle/keg of powder at a time in my loading room. And I never leave powder in my measure when I'm not loading.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Page generated in 0.02097 seconds with 8 queries