View Single Post
Old November 29, 2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss
Tennessee issues LIFETIME concealed carry permits for an extra $100. Although now we also have Constitutional carry law in effect, no permit needed.
The hidden danger in "constitutional" carry is the federal Gun Free School Zones Act. This is a federal law that makes it illegal to possess a loaded firearm within 1,000 feet of a school property -- not just ON school property, and not just within 1,000 feet of the actual school building, but anywhere within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of the school property.

Being federal law, it is not mitigated by a state's adoption of permitless carry. The FBI probebly isn't sitting around, waiting to pounce on hapless citizens who venture within 1,000 feet of a school zone while armed, but the possibility exists. The exception in the GFSZA is if the person has a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located.

This is why I maintain non-resident carry permits for several states that I might visit periodically, even though some of them are now permitless carry states. Reciprocity doesn't protect you. The federal law specifically exempts carry pursuant to a permit issued by the state in with the school is located.

To be honest, as more state srae going to permitless carry, I foresee this becoming a bigger problem, unless we can get the GFSZA amended.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.01966 seconds with 8 queries