View Single Post
Old November 15, 2017, 12:02 AM   #53
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmack View Post
I have a 5.5" 1985 Ruger Redhawk in .357 mag. Absolutely love it and have had it for years. I sold my 5.5" .41 Mag Redhawk because I did not want to reload for it. If they came out with a new 4" I would be on it like flies on feces. But as much as the 2" looks cute, I can't see the purpose. I have a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt (before they made them for moonclips) and it is not a carry gun. One of the reasons you buy a Redhawk is to mitigate recoil. A .38 special in the .357 feels like a .22. If I need to wear a chest rig, I'm going to pack something larger than .357 magnum.
I can't argue against many of your points, but there is a purpose to this and it's to pack as many rounds in a revolver cylinder as possible and 8 shots of .357 out of a nearly 3 inch barrel beats any single stack 9mm out now.

Unfortunately that revolver will weigh a pound more than any polymer single stack 9.

Having said that, I really do see the S&W 627 being the better value than this Redhawk. For the extra "c note" that one will part with, the return is a much lighter gun that's much easier to carry. While 8 ounces less may not sound like a lot, consider that it weighs about 10 ounces more than the SP101 that only holds 5 rounds, while the Redhawk weighs over a pound more than the SP. Yeah, the extra weight mitigates recoil, but in a carry gun like the 627, it weighs enough to be comfortable shooting .357.

Size wise the S&W is physically smaller and again, just contributes to being a better concealed carry gun. If I'm gonna open carry a gun out in the woods, it's sure isn't gonna be a .357 with a 3 inch barrel.

So yeah, I don't really see the point of this other than to try and compete with a clearly superior choice in the S&W, which is rare for me to say that S&W makes something I"d rather have than Ruger. I just can't see any purpose I would be using this Ruger for.

Page generated in 0.03883 seconds with 8 queries