View Single Post
Old April 28, 2019, 10:04 AM   #5
stinkeypete

It’s a SINGLE ACTION cowboy gun, fellas.
Let’s consider that there is no “correct” way. You have discovered a grip style that brings you on target and tightens your group. What kind of ammunition are you using?

Immediately (for those that don’t have one), the Bearcat is a very small single action .22

The stock rosewood ruger grips are beveled at about 45 degrees at the bottom and my factory grips are uniformly undersized such that the grip frame leaves an outline of stainless steel about the sides and bottom of the grip frame. My initial load testing with my Bearcat had me shooting 2” left at 12 yards. (One convenient indoor range maxes out at 12 yards). I was also feeling a pinch in the lower meat of my palm from the grip panel.

Using various grip styles, right hand, left hand, two hands, with my elbow(s) on foam rests, about 8 different kinds of ammo... finger in, finger pad, all about 2” left. One thing constant- I squeeze the grips hard. Really hard. I know it’s just a little cowboy gun, but it was brand new. Ruger resoldered the front sight a few hundredths for me noting it was in spec but they moved the sight for me without cost. Proving yet again Ruger customer service is second to none.

I wanted a black micarta grip for my stainless Bearcat, so I made some. A little bit thicker and without the 45 degree bevel at the base of the grip frame and a perfect proper fit to frame. I have not changed to custom spring (yet).

My hands are size medium and I shoot “duelist” style (one right hand), and it’s crowding fingers to get all around. I have my pinky finger curled an shelved underneath the grip frame so my hand isn’t so far up the back strap that aim and hammer cocking feel un-natural. I use the deep pad of my trigger finger, nearly the first joint. With the slightly smaller stock grips, I was using the second joint of my finger sometimes because the gun is small. I tried to use my pad, but it just wasn’t comfortable.

There may be “the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way” but your way is working for you. Ya can’t argue with the paper target.

For other Bearcat owners- I find that CCI STINGERS seem to group best for me, which was a surprise. Stingers are 32 grains, I think the case is longer and the bullet is shorter.

They are a bit pricey and they are loud.

Page generated in 0.03268 seconds with 8 queries