Thread: What Response?
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2010, 08:48 AM   #37
MTT TL

I am going to have to back up sheepdog on this. 22 years ago when I joined the military they gave us half a day of HTH combat which was kind of a motivational training bad joke.

My how times have changed.

These days some units regularly practice combatives and MMA with qualified instructors. After just a few weeks of training even the most ineffective fighters can mop the mats with and choke out someone untrained. Learn and practice some basic and advanced moves, maintain a high level of physical fitness and discipline and you are world's ahead of any untrained fighter on the street, even when the bad guys don't fight fair. Combatives is all about and for "cheating", the only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Would I rather have a gun? Hell yes. But does it mean I am helpless if I don't? Hell no. This isn't for everyone, as several have pointed out not everyone is capable or willing to perform physically. That is too bad, it is one less tool in the tool box for them.

I don't know a thing about Karate, Ju jitsu or any of that other stuff. I hear you do a lot of exercise, practice making some motions and then play fight at half speed or something like that... honestly it is just what I hear because I don't know. Most of the training I have done is full speed stuff with guys my size (pretty big). Tapping out is part of the training but sometimes guys have too much pride to tap out so they go under. Sometimes people break things. That is about as real as it gets. Anyone who thinks it is ineffective is welcome to come over for a few hours to get the idea. This is not professional wrestling, it is the real deal.

It all goes to training and mindset. If you believe it to be impossible, than you will be in for a nasty surprise some day. The day the bad guy takes your gun away from you that is.

Page generated in 0.05414 seconds with 9 queries