View Single Post
Old November 7, 2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Seating bullets longer gives you a fair amount of wiggle room. I have some 9mm hs6 loads that are bordering max, but are pretty mild because I can seat longer. OTOH, an example of seating longer was given for a 300 mag above... Be careful when relying on this with a bottleneck rifle cartridge. Seating longer (closer to lands) can actually cause more pressure, and your benefits of extra case capacity are apples/oranges when comparing a bottleneck to a straight walled round. I'm not saying Mississippi is flat out wrong, I'm just saying his rifle is likely an anomaly and don't try to repeat his load in your rifle because it could end bad.
I have made that point before. I'm actually 0.020 off the lands. If you move too far into the lands, at some point the start pressure increases. Essentially seating longer reduces pressure, then if you get out far enough, it increases again. It's a balancing act. And also this isn't a production rifle chamber or barrel.
Like I said, I also have a gun where a middle of the manual .308 load was piercing primers or they were dimpled outward....in other words way too hot.

My point was the people who throw out these absolutes of "never exceed published max" or "I never load to...insert comment here" like the manual is perfect in every situation, haven't done enough research. Unless you just want to stick with minimums for recoil reduction which is a valid reason....but also acknowledge that the published max is a guideline, not a firm celling.

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 8 queries