View Single Post
Old November 5, 2017, 04:58 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

Words of wisdom and good advice. Never exceed published data.

That said... If you’ve been doing this for enough decades you do start having a more nuanced view. My books from the 1970s have powders that are no longer available and data for the ones that are well in excess of the modern ones for quite a few loadings.

The reason I rarely hot load, or load from the older data is that in 30+ years I’ve only ever found an accuracy node in one rifle above the published maximums. 99% of the time your not going to find a node at maximum pressure, and groups will open up even more beyond it. It’s been my experience that you’ll usually find one around 95% of the maximum. Sometimes it’s lower, but very rarely is it higher. If I am exploring the tops of the data I will move in 1gr increments and examine each piece of spent brass closely for signs, as you have described.

Don’t feel bad. I’ve loaded a hundred belted magnums with the wrong powder, and only realized it when I went to label them. I use a kenetic puller, so it took me quite a while to turn it all back into components.

Page generated in 0.02724 seconds with 8 queries