View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Note well . . .

. . . the inclusion of the phrases "hunting and shooting." Equally important as the phrase he did not include: "self-defense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
I know people have a visceral dislike of any attempts to control guns but, really, is what he said wrong?
In some ways, yes, in some ways, no. It is not wrong to say that guns shouldn't be in the hands of "criminals on the street." However, there are a great many of us who are neither soldiers on the battlefield, nor criminals on the street. His speech makes no provision for us. What then? A fairly simple change in law could change many gun owners from law-abiding gun owners to "criminals on the street." For example, a law limiting all handgun magazines to 10 rounds would force every Glock 19 owner to either turn in magazines, destroy them, or be a criminal. Never mind the fact that there are millions of people who own guns with 10+ round magazines, none of whom have killed anybody.

The other problem that I have is the attempt to make gun control seem like a reasonable "common sense" measure. It's not. Not by any stretch of the imagination. All it does is disarm the populace and potential victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
The AK47 is a military weapon by design, and I doubt anyone wants them being used by criminals. I can't argue with either of those points.
Many firearms are either military by design, or have their origins in military design. 1911, AR15, Mini-14, Beretta M9 (is that the model?) . . . Rifles based on the AR15 platform are commonly called "Modern Sporting Rifles" these days. They're actually a very good choice for multi-purpose rifles. Do I want them used by criminals? No, but I don't particularly want criminals using a blunderbuss, either. Or a crossbow. Or a bolt-action rifle. The origin of the design is of no consequence.

Page generated in 0.02485 seconds with 8 queries