View Single Post
Old May 1, 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
gunsmokeTPF

The 38-55 may not have been scarcer in 1895, but considering the number of 94's manufactured in total it sure is a lot scarcer than 30-30's in 2012 and can cost a heck of a lot more too. You could probably bump up the price 1/4 with any caliber other than 30-30, or .32 winchester. The 38-55 isn't the scarcest, but is in big damand compared to 30-30's anywhere. I've loved that round for many years and have been watching how some manufacturers are almost tripping over eachother to produce that calibre in their new rifles. At least the smart ones are.

Also, the 38-55 was a very well respected calibre back then and just like today, some people can't help but through word of mouth have to get the new stuff coming out. Back when the 94 was first being sold, there was a problem with delayed production of the 30-30's and people still were comfortable with the old cartridge, cause it was already proven to be a great round.

I have no problem with the 30-30, cause I've had a couple of them, which included a flatband carbine that I sold several years ago that was gorgeous. The 30-30 has probably taken more deer than any other round, especially in the northeast. I also liked my old .32 winchster rifle that was freaky dead on, but that's not the point. When someone's got a winchester 94 for sale it's probably gonna be a 30-30, though they can be very dare as well. As far as measuring the barrel length I think my way worked for me for almost 50 years, give, or take a year, or two.

This is why it's good to have differences in opinion, cause we can all choose to agree to disagree, while not being disagreeable. I've owned and sold a number of winchesters over the years and find out new things about them all the time. I can only go by the amount of money I spent and put back in my pocket where winchesters are concerned and admit I'm not an expert, just been around them a lot.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; May 1, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02619 seconds with 8 queries