View Single Post
Old April 1, 2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Out there where you live, are the folks shooting with scopes ? You wouldn't believe some of the turkey shoot guns I have seen locally.
Some do. I haven't been to many other than the two per year an organisation I am a member of hold. I've been told the use of #6 shot rather than 7 1/2, or 8 eliminates much of the advantage of the special built guns. It seems to be true because occasionally guys show up with their mile long, scoped "specials" and not do any better than people shooting some of the loaner house guns.
Quote:
By today's standards, the full choke on the old guns is extra or super full. Because the guns where choked full, using the old style shells.

My Grandfather "tested" full choke guns by balancing a dime in the muzzle. And it works in the old guns. However, put a dime in the muzzle of a modern full choke gun, and it falls right in.
Not only will a dime drop through the muzzle, it would rattle it's way through making me think the shortened barrel was never pro-choice in any way. I really don't have any particular use for the old Winchester other than I wanted one. Just thought it might be fun to use to "bring home the bacon" in a meat shoot. Not really into spending thousands to have a single purpose shotgun built for competition. Just be happy to win a ham or two, maybe some steaks, or bacon.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Page generated in 0.02540 seconds with 8 queries