View Single Post
Old June 3, 2013, 06:36 AM   #20
Captchee

Quote:
percussion plunger and even bolt ignitions date to the mid 18th century .
sorry miss print , i meant to say mid 19th century .

Sorry this post will be alittle long .

Good post Dog Runner .
Reliability and range wise . I would agree . But then were talking experienced traditional shooter against the average modern shooter . That experience and knowledge is IMO what can make the traditional styled rifle far more effective and reliable then the modern designs . But then on the other hand , there isn’t a lot of traditional shooters who use rifles that are capable of being effective at ranges those longer ranges Or for that mater attempt to take game at those ranges . So its kind of a trade off .

My experience with modern shooters is a little different . A few of the ones I know , are e very good shooters . Especially when shooting from a bench rest . Off hand , well that’s another story . But those with scopes often do very well when shooting off hand .
But then I wouldn’t say I really know all that many . Basically maybe 6-10
Of those who I consider good shooters , they mostly are people who have the money to shoot a lot …. I had a person bring in a Knight , just last week . He was wanting me to take it in on trade for part of the cost of a custom rifle .
As a rule I don’t even consider taking modern muzzleloaders on trade . For the most part I find them to be very hard to get any reasonable money out of .
But I actual considered this one as it was hardly used . When I ask why he hadn’t shot the rifle much , his comment was that at a 1.50-200 a round , it cost more to shoot then his center fires.
After some talking I came to the conclusion , that he really didn’t have the time or inclination to work out loads that would reduce the cost .
In the end I turned it down .

Myself I also don’t think the special season really has anything to do with it .
My father was one of the IDF&G biologists that help start the special muzzle loading seasons here in Idaho back in the 70’s .
Back then there was a lot of support do to the popularity of the 200 year centennial.
Back then there were many reasons for supporting a separate season. Basically overall it was for the very same reasons that archery has their own season . By the mid to late 1980’s that popularity was falling away . Until that time the inline ignition rifles were not aloud in our muzzle loading hunts . Frankly there wasn’t any real push to allow them .

I the later half of the 80’s those of us that worked close with our state game commission we started to hear rumblings of reductions in Muzzle loading, specific opportunities, which frankly were very limited anyway .
So we began to accept the idea of relaxing the rules to allow more modern designs .
I was part of that . To be frank , with hind sight being 20/20 , I have grown to regret that support

Myself , my issue with the modern inline , isn’t really the ignition or the looks of the rifle.
Its more the push to allow more and more technologies. It just never seems to stop.
As soon as you compromise, in a couple years your ask to compromise again .
Supposedly to try and get more folks involved and thus increase opportunity and revenue . But the reality of it is that it doesn’t work that way .At least not with the way our seasons are set up or the way our funding works here in this state .

it’s a very hard and complicated road to hoe .
But this much I have concluded .
The fastest way IMO to get rid of the majority of modern inline hunters , is going to be to do away completely with the traditional muzzle loading seasons all together .
That doesn’t mean losing the traditional only opportunity .
OHHH no . what some of us have found is that with a little support and help , some of the larger ranches around here are more then willing to provide that same opportunity .

So at least for me , those are the places I hunt or I hunt with my flintlock in the General any weapons season . I have not actually hunted in a designated muzzle loading only hunt for years .

Page generated in 0.02722 seconds with 8 queries