View Single Post
Old October 17, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
oldpapps

" er775

loads not grouping, need advice
Im shooting a s&w 629 in 44 mag with 6.5 in brl, I loaded up some hornady 240 gr xtp with 10 grns of unique using new starline brass and federal large pistol primers, col is 1.60 with what I would call a light/medium crimp

I just took off the red dot sight that was on it ( never sighted it or shot with it) and replaced with the factory iron sights, I am going to use this weapon during deer season and where my stand is located my shots will be 50 yards and under, since the thing weighs a ton as it is and with the added weight of the red dot I decided to go back to stock sights.

I went out to shoot today and the holes were all over the target there was no consistency at all, not even close to a group,,the first two shots where within a half an inch of each other dead on with the bullseye and just to the left (shooting at 45 yards ) the rest of them went all over the place. I was using sand bag rest and felt very confident in my shooting, but they were so all over the place there was no way to tell what was going wrong.

Any ideas????

Im thinkin of ditchin that load combo and tryin something different

maybe try lil gun powder, cci primers and winchester brass..really want to stick with the xtp bullet tho
"

My first thought is something is loose, yet you have stated that the sights are tight. Next option is the shooter. If the first two were " within a half an inch " and the loads are getting close to the hot side.....

What I would do:
I don't know your powder selection, so. Load up 12 rounds with the same stuff you have but load them on the light end. Don't know what grips your 29 has, maybe a golf glove. Try this 12 rounds. If still not grouping, look to other options. I like Star brass, I use what ever brass I can gather, but do sort it. I use the same bullet some times. I have no problem with the primers or powder, don't use either (CCI primers and a Winchester powder). Crimping is a whole world of controversy. Some powders/primers/charge combinations seem to need a firmer grip, others, not so much.
Maybe get a second shooter to try.

So I haven't helped any, just some observations and they may well be wrong.

Be safe and enjoy,

OSOK

Page generated in 0.02340 seconds with 8 queries