View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Lost Sheep

Blanket endorsement or condemnation is hogwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs, post #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyFN, post #3
Yes and no. It will size one that is out of spec but it won't size it that small. I size all of my cast bullets to .452 and they never touch the sizing ring in the
FCD.
But when it sizes the case and compresses it then wouldn't the case in turn size dowwn the bullet ?
The sizing ring in the FCD is larger than the sizing ring in the sizing die. The FCD sizing ring does nothing to a properly dimensioned cartridge. Doesn't even touch it. If the cartridge is out of round, it will round it. If it has been bulged by an oversized bullet, it will swage the bullet down along with sizing the brass back to SAAMI dimensions.

If you have brass that has particularly thick walls, the FCD may cause your bullets to become undersized for your bore.

This is why you should have a good set of calipers and a bullet puller.

Measure the diameter of several bullets. taking note of the average and the variations in diameter (between bullets and different orientation of the same bullet-for out-of-round-). Load a round not using the FCD. Measure it's diameter at the bullet, case mouth and below the bullet. Pull the bullet and measure the diameter. Load another round, using the FCD. Measure its diameter at the bullet, case mouth and below the bullet. Slug your bore and measure the slug.

Compare all those dimensions and you will probably be able to tell if the FCD's post-sizing function will 1) be of value to you, 2) be indifferent or 3) hurt your ammo.

If you don't do that with every barrel (bore size), every bullet design (construction, roundness and bullet diameter) and every case design (wall thickness), you are either speculating, guessing or blowing hot air.

My opinion: There are reasons for the Lee FCD and reasons against it. Any blanket endorsement or blanket condemnation is hogwash.

Respectfully,

Lost Sheep

p.s. Yes, BDS-THR, I have not mentioned directly the case-neck tension issue. The FCD can reduce that the tension, which can be a problem and will be difficult to solve. The solution is to remove the post-sizing ring and thus use the FCD only for the purpose its name implies. Crimping only. Tantamount to what you suggest in your post #13. We are in substantial agreement, it seems.

Note: This is the function of the FCD for typical handgun cases. For bottlenecked cases the FCD is a completely different design.

see also
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438588

Last edited by Lost Sheep; July 4, 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.02976 seconds with 8 queries