View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 11:22 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
ummm.... not sure if you saw the video or not but im extremly fast and proficient at loading and manipulating my shotgun.
You may be extremely fast, but if you walk around with your finger in the triggerguard you are not proficient.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/proficient
Proficient: Having or marked by an advanced degree of competence, as in an art, vocation, profession, or branch of learning.
The first step in learning to competently handle a gun is learning to handle it safely. If you have not accomplished the first step then you're not competent and having competence is a prerequisite to "having...an advanced degree of competence".

After thinking about my post awhile, it seemed to me that it came across as pedantic and nit-picky. That wasn't my intent at all and I thought it would be useful to explain why I posted what I did.

I have a friend who is a very good shot. He shoots and hunts on a regular basis. There's only one problem. Somewhere along the line, when he should have learned firearm safety, he didn't. And somehow, in the years since, he's not managed to remedy that defect.

So while he shoots well and hunts productively, he's not proficient with firearms. Why is that?, one might ask. He's not proficient because he scares those around him when he handles firearms. He's not proficient because he shot a hole in the local gun shop.

But MOST of all, he's not proficient because he killed a person in the next room when he unintentionally discharged a firearm because he had his finger on the trigger when he shouldn't have.

No one who handles firearms should fall into the trap of believing that the basic rules of firearm safety don't apply to them. It's irresponsible, it's dangerous. It's DEADLY.

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added explanatory note.

Page generated in 0.03446 seconds with 8 queries