View Single Post
Old February 16, 2011, 08:41 PM   #9
BGutzman

Quote:
What I am saying is the costs would be great and the benefits would be low to moderate.
The same could be said of body armor since it has little protective value against IED's and VBIED's and yet we have it.

Further I would say from a armchair it might not seem like a big difference but on the route from one place to another place or sweeping buildings it makes a big difference to morale when you get pinned down because your 5.56 bullets disappear into mud walls with little if any effect, even when you know the BG was directly behind the piece of mud wall you shot.

The value is in the morale boost and hopefully in the ability of the round to penetrate a trival obstacle and still have the desired effect.

If you loose confidence in your weapons ability to kill due to several real world battle experiences it makes you want to toss the crap in the dirt.

Yes, I didnt say that 5.56 cant kill, what I am saying it is far from the best and a new round of a larger cal would be welcome and a moral booster to many.

Page generated in 0.02677 seconds with 8 queries