Thread: chronographs
View Single Post
Old July 25, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
mehavey

Per Unclenick:

- Use Outdoor. Indoor is beset w/ all sorts of problems

- Pre-set gun on the sandbags you're are going to use (or at the level you're going to shoot at), and get it pointed at (in general direction of) the target you're going to use. (If it's at 50-75 yards, the general direction will so since the screen/window guides on modern chronographs are pretty wide.)

- Place chrono close in... 9-10 ft max (three good paces) is all the distance you need. (If you're at a range where someone could cross shoot that badly, time to find a range with a better class of clientele)

- Recommend using a single good/solid tripod-mounted chrono setup as it adjusts up/down/sideways/twists/cants all-in-one shot. (So easy even a caveman can do it -- even w/ my Oehler.) Never touch the gun -- just sight behind/down the pre-positioned barrel to roughly center in the sensor guide window. Shouldn't take more the 2-3 adjustments/sightings with the chrono/stand only. (Everyone else is still well downrange putting up targets/fiddling around still).

- Fine tune bags/bench/alignment after firing line goes hot

(I REALLY like the bore sighter idea. I'm gonna go get me one.)

This whole process shouldn't take any time at all -- especially w/ a (solid) tripod mount

Page generated in 0.03430 seconds with 8 queries