View Single Post
Old April 6, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Todd Porter

Glenfield model 30

Hello to all,
I just put on layaway a used Glenfield model 30 in 30-30. It was very reasonably priced, hence the reason I bought it, and is in very good condition.I need to pick a few brains with a few questions:

I know this is a Marlin rifle, where can I get it age checked? I am assuming that ALL gun manufacturers started putting the "WARNING" thing on their gun barrels in 1973 or so. This gun does not have one so I'm guessing it's older than that.

The gun has a 20 inch barrel, very clean rifling but looks like a fairly fast twist. Anyone know what the twist would be?like one in 14 maybe?

What ammo might work best, given the barrel length and twist?I'd prefer to use lighter loads, I do intend to hunt deer with it but don't see a need for anything heavier than 150-160 grs.( most shots 100 yds. or under)I also don't want to blow good money on cheap ammo, and I may start reloading again so case quality would be an issue.

Finally, does anyone other than weaver make a base for this gun? Weaver's are ok, just don't like the aesthetics, or lack of. Prefer something "cleaner" looking. Fairly cheap.

All responses will be appreciated, thanks.

Page generated in 0.03337 seconds with 8 queries