View Single Post
Old October 9, 2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old Man Charles Schreiner took up about a half-million acres, originally. A lot of it went away during the Depression. By the time Charley III had it, it was down toward its present size. Kerrville has the Schreiner Bank, and maybe still has the Schreiner Hardware store. I graduated from high school at the Schreiner Institute in 1951, a military boarding school.

I used to go up there during the 1970s, visiting friends who were guides for Charley III; the ranch foreman was a Kerrville local who'd been in high school when I was. The YO was one of the first ranches to get into the exotic animal hunting business. They bred and sold quite a few blackbuck antelope. Sally the Eland was a local favorite. About horse-size; that long black tongue would wrap around a slice of bread in a heartbeat.

Back then, the combination to the gate lock was changed monthly. It began at 25-20 and "grew" monthly to 45-70. Recent years have seen sell-offs of land, in high-priced parcels around 50 to 100 acres, IIRC.

Charley III brought about the series of 1,000 "Texas Ranger Commemorative Pistol" collectibles. SAA with 7-1/2" barrels. #1-#200 were engraved and silver plated; #201-1,000 were finished in a near-black coating. All came in a presentation box with a pictorial history of the Rangers.

Neat place...

Page generated in 0.03353 seconds with 8 queries