View Single Post
Old June 10, 2009, 03:09 PM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Since the Constitution was a purely written document and was not designed to be given as a speech, it is possible that the commas are meant for the purpose of dividing clauses. It is equally possible that they are just being used out of habit as a result of writing many speeches.
In other words, what I said. There was no standard usage. If there was then we would SURELY know the intent thereof in a document as important as the basis for an entire nation.

To answer your question about "What is acceptable?" Very little is acceptable. I would be no more dangerous with a rocket launcher than I am with a BB gun. A background check to verify a history of lawfulness (which of course is no guarantee of tomorrow), is the only acceptable limitation. Cash flow would limit the vast majority of weapons, regardless. What would be the purpose of limiting, for instance, the ownership of M1 tanks? VERY, very few people could afford one, let alone the fuel and shells. Those with that level of cash, who complete the background check, are pretty friggin' unlikely to start blasting away in downtown LA.

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries