Thread: casting bullets
View Single Post
Old August 13, 2008, 10:30 AM   #3
okiefarmer

Casting your own is only gonna pay if you shoot enough to justify the cost of the "new" mold needed for the new projo. If you don't shoot more than 100-200 rb a year, and the time involved in casting them is a hindrance to you (I actually enjoy it) the I wouldn't incur the extra expense. Shooting smokeless however is a different story, especially if it is auto-loading; I have yet to go out blasting, either at the farm pond or the range where I haven't dumped at least 100 rounds. Casting is a no brainer here. I already have tons of lead, both pure and WW, and I still watch for good deals on moulds from time to time at auctions, dealers, or pawn shops.

Multi cavity molds are gonna naturally be pricier that two holers, what is your time worth. Like I said, if'n ya don't enjoy it in the first place, don't get into it. You can make more bullets in an hour than you think even with a two holer.

I will be on the "pro" side of argument here for casting, and I doubt you et many cons, especially on a reloading board, but with the increased cost of bullets (despite lead cost coming back down, retail costs will likely stay up) it makes more sense now than ever to roll yer own from start to finish.

YMMV,
Okie out

Last edited by okiefarmer; August 13, 2008 at 03:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.03785 seconds with 8 queries