Thread: Dog assault
View Single Post
Old March 30, 2008, 07:26 AM   #36
MLeake

Pit bulls, boxers, rotties...

.... shepherds, ridgebacks, dobies...

One thing they have in common is that if they choose to bite, they will do more damage than, say, a cocker, beagle, shih tzu...

And sorry, guys, but pits were bred for a higher aggression level than most breeds possess, for many years. That said, I like pits a lot, and if I could have adopted this one little female a year ago, I would have.

Dobies were bred for aggression, too, intended as a fast modification of the rottweiler for use in security work.

These days, there are a majority of breeders who have worked hard at breeding down the aggression levels of their dogs. It is not hard to find very gentle pits, dobies, rotties, etc. I've met and enjoyed any number of all of those breeds that I would take home in a heartbeat.

There is one common theme I notice in most of the fatal dog attacks, though. In cases I've followed, where the owners have been interviewed, I've only been surprised in less than 20% of the cases, because the vast majority of those owners have met the stereotype that I have usually encountered when I run across a vicious dog: late teen to mid 30's gangstas and gangsta wannabes, and various partially toothless rednecks.

These are the same guys who put boat anchor chain collars on their dogs, or ridiculously spiked, thick leather.

I don't usually see pits like my neighbor's, who has a stuffed Bugs Bunny toy that she carries around like a security blanket, make the news. I have several friends who have small kids and a boxer, or small kids and a rottie. No problems. The dogs are very protective of those kids, though.

With my Catahoula, and before that with the Rott/Shep, I trained them early. Pulled them around by their ears, noses, tails. Stuck my hand in their mouths, pulled them around by upper or lower jaw. Grapped their feet, poked their foreheads. Took food out of their mouths.

I wasn't being mean. But when my godson, or the neighborhood kids, or the kids at the dogpark would approach my dogs, there was nothing within reason they could do that would elicit a violent response. In other words, if my dog were to bite you, odds are that I would find cause to attack you, too, because you really would have had to do something.

As far as kids go, though, I have to wonder what some parents are thinking. I've had one parent let his diaper-wearing toddler approach my rott/shep without asking me, or even letting me know - dog was on leash, attached to a beach chair. Next thing I know, a baby has tackled my dog around the neck. Luckily, the dog just licked the kid. I was ready to tear the father a new one....

Had another neighbor decide to let my Catahoula out of his outdoor pen while I was at work (he's an indoor dog when I'm home, but he used to get destructive when I was gone, so...) She thought he looked lonely, and her 4YEAR OLD DAUGHTER wanted to play with him...

Those were two attacks that did not happen, but could you have faulted the dogs?

Cheers,

M

Page generated in 0.02479 seconds with 8 queries