View Single Post
Old March 21, 2008, 06:51 AM   #1
dave-o

First Rifle, am i making a reasonable choice?

Hi,
I've always been interested by firearms and wanted to get a gun, but only recently moved to an area where I will actually get the chance to go shooting enough to justify buying a gun / getting a licence. I now live about 5 mins from a large shooting Range in Brisbane / Australia and it supports a lot if not all of the disciplines. I've got a couple of friends that have been shooting for a while so when I get my licence (waiting now... have applied and paid but am waiting for confirmation... apparently my licence SHOULD arrive in the mail within the next 8 or so weeks)

I am keen on Bench-rest shooting and when first started asking people about appropriate calibres etc for what I want was told to go for a centerfire bolt action in .223 but since then I have had the opportunity to try a lot of different calibres and have decided I would like to get a .308. For my first rifle I plan on spending what I consider to be a fair ammount of money but to some people might not be much, but I plan on getting a NEW factory made rifle, of good quality with a good scope etc because I have noticed my friends have bought a lot of second hand guns and end up getting about 9 or 10 guns and not having enough money to get what they actually want, so they are trying to sell off their second handers to buy something new and quality. I've decided to cut out the middle and just take more time and get something 'quality. The rifle I am looking at and considering is the Tikka T3 Varmint heavy barrel in .308, with a Leupold VX III 8.5-25x50mm scope.. I would like to shoot as a hobby/sport and maybe competition (but not serious enough to pay high prices for custom rifles etc etc) more just for fun, and on occasion I will get the opportunity to go out in the field Pig shooting and Roo shooting etc. The guy at the Gun Shop said this scope would be good for both a) The range I would like to target shoot with ...(which is from 100 to 500yd) and b) And on the very odd occasion, Varmint & medium size game shooting.

Just wondering what anyone with experience thinks of this set up and if it sounds alright?
I am looking at spending about $1100 for the Rifle, $1100 for the scope, then I need a safe, anything from $250 to $350, plus all the basics like ear protection, eye protection, hard case etc. And when I do make my purchase I will be trying to get some sort of a package discount as I am spending a fair amount. So probably between $2500 and $3000 AUS to get started.
I like the feel of the rifle, and it has good reviews.
Anyone have any opinions or advice for me?

p.s I would like to further on down the track when I have been shooting for a while and have a bit of spare cash.... get a .22 and a 12g Shotgun (both second hand and only if they are at a decent price) for a bit of fun, because I have found I really enjoy clay pigeon shooting, and .22's are nice fun little rifles to target shoot at short range and cheap on ammo. but that won't be for a while yet.

Page generated in 0.02610 seconds with 8 queries