View Single Post
Old September 4, 2007, 03:46 PM   #22
Justme

Samurai, I was answering the question as posed. I don't believe a 250lb man could learn enough to be effective at disarming someone in such a situation either.

Some things I have learned over the years:
1. - Training and practice can go a long way toward addressing the imbalance between larger and smaller people, but size is still a disadvantage

2. - All other things being equal a bigger person, whether male or female, has an advantage. (I have aunts I wouldn't want to tangle with either) It's not about the sex of the person involved, it's about muscle mass and strength.

3. - Nothing ever happens as predicted or planned.

4. - 90+% of the time the person who strikes the first clean blow wins the brawl. I taught young women how to land a headbutt to the nose or a spike heel to the top of the foot, both of which can be effective fight stoppers. I also taught that the most effective defense against a firearm is prayer.

5. - Martial arts are overrated by most people. I have seen boxers win tae kwon do tourneys after a couple of weeks of training. My own instructer had a boxing bronze medal from the olympics. I would put the average semi-pro boxer up against the average suburban black belt any day.

6. - People who have never been in a street fight or bar brawl have no clue just how violent and sudden they really are. It's not like TV or movies, if you can last more than 3 or 4 seconds you are lucky.

Finally, interpersonal communication is under-rated by most people. A young woman used to being assertive and verbal should try to keep the conflict in that realm, a realm where she may well have more experience than the BG. As soon as she entires the BG's world she loses.,

Page generated in 0.02779 seconds with 8 queries