Thread: 9MM for hogs?
View Single Post
Old July 3, 2007, 01:15 AM   #10
Yithian

I don't mean to always be a pragmatist, but limbs and life could be at risk...

Vitals on a pig don't mean much in a SD event.
I liquefied the lungs and heart on a pig with my rifle. It ran to a hidey hole 70 yards away.
The only exception with a pig is a bone or brain/spine.
All three of those will be destroyed just as easily with a FULLY Jacketed hollow point.
Neither hair, hide, nor fat can hinder damage to whats just under it.

What the hollow point does do, is damage more of the animal where his nerve endings are.
You are more likely to get a "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?" response in a pig. Rather than a "Knumb, still attacking" response.

I have seen the bloated carcasses of pigs that are just plumb full of FMJ holes.
They were perforated so much because they didn't stop.
From one story on a charging boar, they broke one of his shoulders. And, it still kept running, just in circles. It stopped when it was finally hit in the head.
They didn't even bother to count holes. But, needless to say, clips had to be reloaded afterwards.
I believe it was a 30-30, a 30 Carbine, and a 45ACP pistol, that was used on that one boar.
Two humans involved.
The boar was reported to be about 300Lbs.

FMJ pistol ammo is great for hunting but, a SHTF event with a boar is not a hunting event.
They are tanks with tusks and they can remove anything on your body from the groin down with just one side-swipe. And I don't mean gear.
Who cares what the meat tastes like if your in a hospital eating Jello?
It is an event where you want that pig to run the other way, if not die where he is.

I would even go so far as to use a revolver and place a shot-shell as the first round fired. No need to be an exact shot.
If it has no face or eyes, it can't find you. Just be sure and run sideways.

Rather expensive ammo but so is the other stuff mentioned... Federal : Hydra-Shok
http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=7

Be safe.

Page generated in 0.02539 seconds with 8 queries