View Single Post
Old July 18, 2005, 01:02 PM   #13
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
Your friend had a problem before you introduced him to guns. Having the gun in his hand has just made him feel more like he can carry out what may have been a private and perhaps fearful fantasy.

As harsh as it may seem, I see only 2 choices for you to consider. Take away his gun (with his permission) and monitor him 24/7 to be sure he does not get another one, or refer him to a mental health counselor as his only alternative to a visit from LEOs. He has means, motive and opportunity, and has expressed intent at what may be the slightest provocation. In most places that puts him square inside the box marked "presents immediate danger to others" and could earn him an involuntary trip to the psych ward. If that happens, he loses his "privilege" of ever owning or touching a gun again.

The legal consequences (trial, prison, etc.) may not sway his mind as much as learning how close he is to an involuntary commitment and how he will be treated when they put him away for 180 days of "evaluation and treatment".

Worst of all, you have announced that you are aware of his mental state. If anything happens, the plaintiff's lawyer will be looking at your pockets to see what they can get from you as well as from your friend. As much as I dislike working for a living, I sure would hate it more if I had to go to the office every day just to turn over all my income to somebody else because of another somebody else's behavior.

stay safe.

skidmark

Page generated in 0.02703 seconds with 8 queries