View Single Post
Old April 26, 2008, 12:31 AM   #116
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But your post supports my argument
Of course--up until the conclusion.

Accepting that there are situations when it's ridiculous to carry doesn't mean that it follows that there's no value in carrying when it IS "non-ridiculous". Nor does it imply that carrying at home must include even the times that it's wildly impractical to be of value. And it doesn't follow that a person who doesn't carry when it's wildly impractical is being hypocritical.

The false dilemma you posed gives a person the choice between admitting they're not serious about being prepared (because they don't carry when it would be ridiculous to do so) or that they're crazy (because they do). Those aren't the only two options.

I don't carry when it's wildly impractical BECAUSE it's wildly impractical, but I do carry at home when it is "non-ridiculous" because it's very easy to do and because I find it simpler and more practical than caching guns around the house. Not that I EXPECT home carry (or cached guns) to pay off tonight, or even in my lifetime, but rather because there's a very tiny chance it COULD pay off at any time.

I don't have to remember where the closest gun is in this room and how to get to it. I don't have to remember where all the guns are when someone brings kids over. I don't have to spend time collecting guns or redistributing them before & after trips out of town. I always (ok, ALMOST always ) know exactly where the closest gun is so I don't have to think about it at all. When I take it off and put it in the safe (or when I leave the house) the house is already child-proofed or ready to be vacated for an extended period.

I think that this is part of the disconnect. I (and I'm sure others) find that carrying a gun at home is the simplest and most practical way to have ready access to one. In fact it's so simple and practical that I can't find a reason not to carry at home. I suppose that if I equated carrying a gun with servitude I might have a different attitude--fortunately I don't.
Quote:
And guess what the odds of you getting into an accident are compared to a home invasion.
Still irrelevant.

Page generated in 0.03879 seconds with 8 queries