View Single Post
Old October 2, 2001, 01:01 AM   #18
DeadCalm

As someone said earlier this subject has been well flogged. I live in bear country, SW Montana. I am no expert and have never had that kind of close encounter. There have been enough accounts of local attacks that I really want to caution anyone who thinks any handgun should give one peace of mind in bear country. There is no peace of mind in bear country. Pepper spray, while not infallible, seems to be the best 1st line of defense, inside a tent or not. Carry a handgun as backup, whch is also handy in two-legged country. We've had 3 maulings in the MT/WY area that involved elk hunters with rifles: one with a .270 and two with 7MM Rem. mags. They lived, a couple of the bears didn't. But the bears expired only after chewing the stuffing out of their shooters. For more enlightening, detailed gore, pick up a copy of Bear Attacks, written by an expert researcher on the subject. I like a good tekkie argument as much as the next guy/gal, but this is way too serious to be advising people without a solid body of knowledge behind it. Don't settle on just enough information to get yourself killed. If you are in serious bear country and you've taken your family along, you really owe it to everybody to do a little research on the subject. Contact your F&W folks, too. They keep exhaustive records and stats. Be careful out there.

Ross

Page generated in 0.02878 seconds with 8 queries