Thread: trap or skeet?
View Single Post
Old June 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8
4D5

scottd913

I shot skeet, trap and sporting clays competitively in the past, not any more but I do take my electric trap out to BLM occasionally and crush some targets.

About the 20 gauge. You will not be gaining much except maybe a competition grade gun. The reason being that, while the recoil may be reduced some, the average 20 gauge gun is much lighter than a 12 gauge, hence just as much recoil. You might want to consider a 28 gauge, much less recoil and is just as effective as a 20 gauge. The 28 gauge ammo is more expensive, but reloading will put the costs in line with 12 and 20.

As for skeet and or trap?

In trap if you are shooting in a squad (up to 5 shooters) you'll be holding your gun at each station for a period of 25 targets (5 shooters, 5 targets each per station) without moving (trap shooters are finicky about moving around on the line).

In skeet, you have to stand on each post for at most 4 targets, only during your turn, the rest of the time you can relax, sit down and rest your back while the other shooters in the squad (as many as 5) take their turn.

Of the two skeet is more social, trap shooters tend to be more focused.
In any event both are a lot of fun.

Page generated in 0.03393 seconds with 8 queries