View Single Post
Old December 30, 2009, 11:14 PM   #1
anfnfalfan

Enfield no4 mk 1? a FAKE? I need some history and wisdom

A friend of mine gave me an enfield rifle, and I can not for the life of me find much of anything out about this rifle. It plainly looks like a no.4 mark 1, but the rear sight is adjusted by sliding, not turning a knob. It has a little lever on side that locks the distance. Distance of 2-13. And it is marked ( mk III ), which confuses me because I thought no. 1 mk III sights were completely different from those of no. 4 rifles. The magazine has a numerical 4 digit serial number on it. The bolt handle has serial number e266XXa, and an ( E ) and possibly a ( J ) or (U) on bottom side. The bolt also says ( A S ARMS 2 ), and the tip of the handle for the bolt has what looks like the crown symbol with 3 unrecognizeable numbers or letters below it. The end of the bolt that holds the shell has a ( 2 ) on it and maybe a very small ( H ). The trigger assembly has a square looking S on it by where the chain is supposed to be attached to the magazine. The little bolt release that enables you to take the bolt out has an ( F ) on it. The sling piece at the butt has what looks like several V's very close to each other (VVVV). The top of the butt has an ( L ) in the wood. The reciever above the trigger assembly has a serial number (KC267XX). That is what confuses me the most! The band at the front sight has an ( F ) and ( 52 ) on one side, and an ( A ) and ( 15 ) on the other side. I thought that was a little wierd. There is an ( S ) with a square around it on top of one end of the stock where the metal is. The stock is made out of beech. There is an ( SL ) in the wood on the bottom of the stock. Where the bayonet goes there is an ( 8 ) on the catch. The tip of the barrel has an (NP) (303) (2.22) and maybe (18.5 tons). Ok, now after going through all of this, i guess it does have a little more markings than i thought! And crazy enough as it is....i busted out my $80.00 flash light, and if i shine it just right on the reciever, i can BARELY make out what looks like (NO 4 MK I ROF (F) 1/44). Now I have had this rifle for a few weeks now, and im still surprised i found that! That is the best i can read it too. Well anyways, there is something about this rifle that makes it addicting! Im already wanting another one.......but one will do for now. If anyone can help me figure out what type and where this gun came from, as well as some of these markings meanings would be great. I do know what the crown symbolizes and the ( S ) with a square around it, but thats all ive found out. Another thing, what would this gun be worth? Could it be fake? Or possibly assembled from mere parts? It's in very, very good shape, almost to good to be true! Any help or wisdom would GREATLY be appreciated!

Page generated in 0.02248 seconds with 8 queries