View Single Post
Old October 1, 2005, 03:38 AM   #71
tanksoldier

jsp98m3

I'm curious to know if you even know what "ad hominum" <sic> means?
An Ad Hominem is an attack on the arguer, rather than on the argument... which you seem to decry in your post, yet half of the very same post is in fact an Ad Hominem attack.

What other people think of me is probably the LAST argument that will sway my opinion. If CHL holders worried about that we would never have obtained a CHL. The rest of the world won't "giggle" at me if I happen to have a gun in the locked bathroom while I shower, because the only person who will ever know if I do (aside from my wife) is the badguy who gets shot with it. If I am ever forced to defend me and mine with a weapon I kept handy in the bathroom, rather than a fool, I would be seen as a man of wisdom and foresight.

I would also point out that you seem to be trying to protect people from themselves... the exact stance most anti-gun activists take. You know what's good for the people on this board better than they do.

I would also point ot that logically carrying/ having available 100% of the time, in the shower, during sex or whatever is actually what makes sense... it makes no logical sense to have a weapon handy at some times and not others. Consider:

Carrying a concealed weapon is an attempt to defend against an event that is already extremely unlikely. It is unlikely that you will be ambushed walking to your car after work, yet no one here would think twice about someone carrying a firearm to defend against this possibility. It is also extremely unlikely that you will be ambushed in your shower, yet the concept of defending yourself there has generated some heated debate. Logically, if you have already gone to some effort and expense to defent against an extremely unlikely event, why would you protect yourself from one such event, but not another? I would argue that such behavior is similar to stocking your survival kit with equipment to protect yourself from chemical, but not biological, weapons. Both are unlikley, but if you're going to prepare for one why not the other as well?

Quote:
Second to my unease with some people's lifestyle choices, is my utter amusement at how the slightest sniff of disagreement with this lifestyle leads to ad hominum attacks and a breakdown in the ability to analyze the written word.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries