View Single Post
Old March 1, 2018, 12:24 PM   #101
F. Guffey

Quote:
As far as the ram floating on a Rock Chucker,I think RCBS sends them out the door with a pretty good fit. I had a boss that would say "Indicators don't lie,and liars don't indicate"
That is a cute saying, I do not know of any resource people that are impressed with silly sayings. In the past I have had 6 Rock Chucker's, I have access to 3 more; not one of the 9 will cam over. Again, I modified one Rock Chucker by grinding the contact between the toggle and linkage after grinding, after grinding the ram no longer kicked back at the bottom and forward at the top. And then there is that part that must be impossible for reloqders to understand. The kick forward happens when there is no die in the press and no case in the shell holder when the ram is raised.

Smashing fingers with falling handles; the falling handle was one thing and the ram coming up was the part that will get you. The Herter press was kicked back at the top but not enough to prevent the handle from falling. Because of the kick back the ram was not perpendicular. The lean created a problem reloaders at the time did not know they had. The lean created an advantage; as I have said I am a case former, I form cases. When forming cases my favorite shell holder is the RCBS shell holder because it fits the case like a hand me down shirt, meaning; it only fits where it touches.

When reloaders are struggling to find shell holders for the Herter press reloaders always give the same advise, get you one of those a-dapt-ters for the Herter and use RCBS shell holders. And I always say the shell holders are different. I like the difference, I find the difference in the two shell holders an advantage. The Herter is a cam over press, the cam over is at the top of the travel, the finger smashing happens when the ram starts at the bottom and the handle is at the top. When using one of my Herter presses I do not turn my 'back on it and when picking it up, same thing.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.05583 seconds with 8 queries