View Single Post
Old June 30, 2014, 04:56 PM   #30
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimius
...we should fight it as an arbitrary number. 10 for the Federal ban, 10 in some states, 15 in CO, 7 in NY...the antis are pulling numbers out of a hat.
I think the CO 15rd limit and the (admittedly unenforced) NY 7rd limit are vulnerable to this argument.

However, due to the federal AWB and a number of similar continuing state laws, you can find 10rd mags for most commonplace modern firearms. IOW the argument isn't that strongly in our favor if the line is drawn at 10 rounds.

Just as an exercise in "What If...?", I'd be curious to see the results of a challenge to the NY law by a Beretta 81 owner on the grounds of non-availability of mags less than 12 rounds in capacity (or the CO law by an 18rd Steyr GB owner). The argument is simple: my only mag broke, now my only gun is a paperweight, and I can't afford another. The courts could rule very narrowly in such a case, but it's a kinda intriguing idea.

Page generated in 0.02554 seconds with 8 queries