View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 09:09 AM   #6
carguychris

OK Tom, this takes the prize for um, creative forum post wording.

Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out how you type so well when you have springs for arms, and Joel or Mike have to carry you everywhere.
Quote:
How much of this set back involves reloads using plated bullets?
I can't see how plated bullets would be any more prone to setback than jacketed bullets. OTOH when reloading for autoloaders, IMHO the Lee Factory Crimp Dieā„¢ is your best friend. Although rimless autoloader cases shouldn't be crimped per se, this dies squeezes the case around the bullet so firmly that it really stays put. I've accidentally dropped several reloaded rounds that have gone through the FCD and I've observed virtually zero measurable bullet movement.

I've had problems with plated bullets jumping forwards under recoil in Magnum revolvers, but this is really a different issue, and is solvable by applying a slightly firmer crimp; getting the right degree of crimp on a plated bullet in a revolver cartridge is a trial-and-error process of figuring out how hard you can crimp without penetrating the plating at the case mouth.

[EDIT] I am not a handloading nerd to nearly the same degree that I'm a history and gun design nerd. I didn't realize that the Lee FCD was such an acrimonious topic until I did some searching. I'm retracting this portion of my post so this thread doesn't turn into another slugfest. Peace, y'all.

Last edited by carguychris; October 27, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Let's forget that I brought up the FCD, m'kay?

Page generated in 0.03578 seconds with 8 queries