View Single Post
Old August 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I never even mentioned gravity, which of course does indeed effect everything. I was mearly pointing out that while gravity effects the bullet at all times it its NOT falling the instant it leaves the barrel. Why is it not falling?

There is upward climb in every shot. I mearly stated it is impossible to actually fire parallel to the ground. Don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth. Please explain how a bullet "climbs". If bullets climb, why don't we make bullet shaped aircraft with no wings. By your "hypothesis" if you put enough thrust on it, it will just start climbing, right? Why bother with adding wings?

If there were not gravity then the bullet wouldn't travel in an arch. Think of the gun on a battleship. Do the shells begin to fall the second they leave the barrel..... no they climb hundreds of feet before hitting the target up to 26 miles away. The same thing happens with Every gunshot, just on a smaller scale.

You are right, if there was no gravity, they wouldn't travel in an arch. They would travel in a straight line right out of the barrel. Just like a laser beam (which has no mass and is not affected by gravity, well except for black holes). They have to be fired in an arc because if you didn't they would hit the ground at the same time as a bullet dropped out of your hand at the same height. They climb because of the elevation of the gun, not because the bullet themselves "climb". They are all falling the minute they leave the barrel of a gun. This has been a well known fact for centuries.

Seriously man. This is basic physics.

There is no upwards climb. Please explain the physics behind why a bullet will climb?

Bullets are symmetrical why do they go up and not right or left?

Do bullets magically know which way is up?

I think you are getting confused about the word "fall". Falling doesn't mean that they are physically "falling" below your line of sight. It means that they will never be any higher than the straight line that your barrel creates. It will follow that line for a short distance then it will start to drop below that line until it hits the ground.

Look at the illustration that RamItOne posted. The bullet is not "falling" until it reaches the top of the parabola. However, relative to the bore axis, it is always falling. Because, with no gravity, the projectile would continue on following the axis of the barrel, it is "falling" away from the no gravity path and thus is considered to be falling from the time it leaves the barrel. But it doesn't have anything to do with the curvature of the earth or whether the round is slowing down or not. It is all just gravity.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/u3l2a.cfm

Good luck.

Last edited by Crow Hunter; August 28, 2012 at 05:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02444 seconds with 8 queries