View Single Post
Old June 4, 2005, 02:18 PM   #7
TomF

There's also a good article: Shotshells for Revolvers by Kirk Paradise in Handguns 2001 - 13th Edition (Krause Publications)...pages 62-71.

According to the article, the author uses .444 Marlin cartridges for the .45 Colt shotshells. Much like the .45 ACP shotshell that has alot more articles written about it, the parent brass is cut down to approx the loaded overall length of the "standard" cartridge (so you can stuff in alot more powder and shot than just using a .45 Colt cartridge). I haven't re-read the article, so I don't recall if the rim thickness and diameter are close enough "as-is" with the .444 Marlin, or if you have to do some trimming/thinning on that end....the photo caption states "the .45 Colt shotshell also fit without alteration"...so I guess it's close enough (at least for the author of the article)! He also uses Winchester AA .410-bore wads, so bore leading is minimized. He uses GE Silicon Seal to hold in the shot. I'm not sure why he didn't use a gas check and crimp it on (like they do for the .45 ACP shotshells).

...although it's a pain to cut down brass, and .444 Marlin brass isn't usually found at the range for us range rats (but neither is .45 Colt), the wads are another additional cost, trimming the wads is another step...but in the end, you'd have quite a shotshell cartridge....

Page generated in 0.02715 seconds with 8 queries